Who We Are
Northern Wasco County People’s Utility District is a customer-owned utility that provides nearly 25,000 people and businesses with electricity in Wasco County, Oregon. As our name implies, “people” are what we are all about.
We take great pride in providing quality electric service at some of the lowest rates in Oregon, the Northwest and the nation. The 40-plus employees who work at the utility greet each customer with a friendly smile and provide prompt, efficient and courteous service. Our customers experience few power outages because our electrical system is well maintained.
Nearly all of the electricity needed to serve our customers is purchased from the federal Bonneville Power Administration, which serves several dozen public utilities in the Northwest with low-cost electricity. Northern Wasco PUD also has two hydroelectric power generation projects that supplement our BPA power.
What is a PUD?
A “People’s Utility District” is a not-for-profit, customer-owned utility. A PUD is different from an “investor-owned utility” (such as Pacific Power or Portland General Electric) in a many ways:
- We are locally controlled. The utility is governed by a five-member Board of Directors that is elected by our customer-owners. The directors live and work in the community they serve.
- Our electric rates are lower. That’s because a PUD doesn’t have to earn a profit for the benefit of stockholders or investors.
- We are open and transparent. Board of Directors meetings are open to the public, and customers are encouraged to participate in decision-making.
- Customers own the electric system. Because PUD’s do not send profits off to far-away stockholders, more revenues can be used to keep the electric system reliable.
We value our public power traditions, while seeking new and better ways to preserve the benefits of that heritage. We believe that with innovation, teamwork and commitment, we can compete effectively in a changing environment.
To provide reliable, competitively-priced energy and related services that benefit our customers in the tradition of public power.
Core Values & Beliefs
Local Citizens championed and fought to create our People’s Utility District, which is founded on the belief in the public’s right to own and control its electric utility. Today, our values are a legacy from our public power heritage, as well as guideposts for a changing future. We believe in:
- Public ownership and local control
- Keeping power rates as low as possible
- Providing quality essential services
- Community involvement