Candidates selected for interview will be required to:
- Complete a written test on basic line work knowledge
- Complete a pole-top rescue according to Oregon safety and work practices, with required equipment
Construct, repair, maintain, and replace transmission and distribution power lines between generating stations, substations, and customers, requiring use of precautionary work methods and safety equipment due to electrical hazards present when working on or near energized conductors and electrical accessories.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Install and connect both underground and overhead single and multi-phase poles, pole hardware, line equipment, and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lighting arresters, switches, fuses, and insulators, using hand tools and following diagrams furnished by the PUD.
- Install or remove broken or defective conductors, insulators, cross arms, brackets, and other hardware by climbing poles or ride in bucket attached to truck mounted boom.
- String and secure new conductors to cross arm insulators and splice or affix wire to adjoining sections of line to complete circuit.
- Perform work on open switches or clamp grounding device to energized equipment or de-energized line or accessories as directed by supervisors. Connect and disconnect routine and nonpaying consumer account lines.
- Report all unsafe acts, accidents, or conditions to the Line Foreman or in their absence the Operations Supervisor.
- Suspend insulated ladders and platforms from pole cross arms, cover energized line with fiber guards to facilitate safe handling of high-voltage lines without interrupting service by power shutoff, and use long insulated poles (hot sticks) fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools.
- Patrol power lines and repair applicable situations or report situations that require engineering attention or other work forces or equipment
- Provide guidance and training to Apprentice Lineman.
- Trim trees as required to maintain power line clearance.
- Inspect work for quality in accordance with applicable specifications, and codes.
- Complete all required documentation on paper and/or electronically.
- Maintain working knowledge of the most up-to-date an effective techniques of first aid and CPR, including pole-top rescue per OSHA requirements.
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent experience.
• Qualified candidates must be a Journeyman Lineman acceptable to the requirements established by local 125 IBEW.
• Must have a valid, current class A CDL driver’s license with air brake endorsement within 90 days if hire. Driving record must be acceptable and insurable by NWCPUD insurance carrier at standard group rates. An annual consent for a release of one’s driving record is also required.
• Must satisfactory complete the yearly refresher that is required by OSHA 29CFR 1910.269.
• Must be proficient in the use of dielectric hot line tools as related to their application of use in the operation, maintenance, and construction of energized equipment and conductors of all voltage ratings.
• Hiring preference may be given to applicants that have had, and are current with the 40-hour hazardous materials training.
• Preference will be given to those candidates with at least one year experience in the electric utility industry.
• Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in the construction and maintenance of PUD related distribution/transmission systems.
Specific Job Skills:
• Must perform the duties of this position in a safe and efficient manner.
• Must follow PUD policies and OSHA standards covered in the current NWCPUD safety manual that includes the OSHA standard.
• Must read blue prints or drawings of the items to be made or repaired.
• Must accept responsibility for the accuracy of work produced.
• Must be able to operate a wide variety of large and small trucks, tensioner, puller, digger, derrick aerial man-lift, and other special equipment.
• Requires math skills sufficient to use practical applications of fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, or other math skills normally required in electrical theory of general line work.
• Must speak and read English.
No effective protection from weather. Must be able to work in variable weather conditions including but not limited to rain, high winds, and temperatures in excess of 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) or below -10 degrees (Fahrenheit), large amounts of snow (using snow shoes), long periods of darkness, etc. Subject to snakes bites, bee stings, insect bites and poison oak. Must be able to work long hours in stressful conditions when restoring power during storms or other outages. Commonly exposed to situations, which, if handled improperly, have the potential for bodily injury or death. Exposed to oils, paints, and solvents.
• Requires exerting up to 100 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly; occasionally pull lift/carry/move up to 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying/moving up to 50 pounds.
• Requires bending, squatting, pushing, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing ladders, crawling in confined or enclosed vaults and or roofs, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling, and talking.
• Requires walking and carrying/moving equipment and materials over uneven ground and obstacles in right-of-ways under a wide variety of conditions. Must be able to sit from 30 to 60 minutes, stand in one place for brief periods, walk up to 4 to 6 hours a day. This position exercises considerable judgment in selecting, using, and adjusts for correct body position, tools or work aids to work, move, guide or place objects or materials.
• Must be able to hear malfunctioning equipment, construction/maintenance, etc.
Review of applicants will begin September 18, 2017.
Do not apply directly to NWCPUD. Resume and cover letters will only be accepted at:
HR Answers, Inc
7650 SW Beveland St., Suite 130
Tigard, OR 97223
HRE@HRAnswers.com (put “Journeyman Lineman” in subject line)
Fax (503) 352-5582
- $45.79 per hour
- Until Filled